Wednesday 8 June 2016

Enjoy Savoury Crawlies While Watching #Magpie-Robin


Hello again

Few days back I went to a shopping mall. It was a week day but the place was quite busy like a Saturday. There were many push cart stalls just being set up along the walkway between the shop lots. Must be in the anticipation of the coming Hari Raya. Though Ramadhan has not begun the spirit is already there.

One of the stalls sells all types of snacks . Snacks always attract me. The muruku and the kerepek and all. But most are fried and look oily. No no. I am now trying to lose weight. If I terlajak eat, all my efforts will come to a naught.

Back home I was still thinking and craving for snacks. Must make it and let it be baked not fried. So here I show my version of baked snack. Its savory and the shape is like some worms so I call it savoury crawlies.

It is so simple to make and using everyday ingredients that we use to have in the house. And the amount used does not warrant it to be so accurately measured. No ISO.

Savoury Crawlies

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup pounded dried shrimps
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp crushed fennel
1 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
2 pips grated garlic
chopped curry leaves
enough water
Mix all the dry ingredient
Rub in butter
Bind with lightly beaten egg
Add enough water to make into a smooth dough

Dough should not be too hard or too soft and not sticky.

savoury crawlies
dough

Take this tool.

Do like this.

savoury snacks
Take a little dough press on the ridged surface
savoury snacks
Slant the tool (mould) at an angle roll the dough forward
savoury snacks
And there you have your crawly
Put on a lined baking pan.

savoury snacks
Before baking
Bake for 10 to 12 mins on 175 degrees C In preheated oven

savoury snack

savoury snacks
And here is the baked snack the savoury crawlies
Let cool, eat.

The snack was not crunchy enough and it turned a little soft too soon. So I put it again to dehydrate it in the oven on low heat for another ten minutes. 

It was Ok more crunchy. I like it so do my family members especially my sister who is very health conscious.

So have fun making the savoury crawlies.

Here are some photos to accompany your snacking. A magpie is having a snack too.

Magpie-robin
Perch under a shade
Magpie-robin
With an insect caught between the beaks
Magpie
It is not swallowing it right away

Magpie- robin
Quite a big insect


We don't have to eat like a bird.

We can eat more but less the fried food.

Stay healthy will stay happy.

Bye . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment