Tuesday 20 September 2016

The Kingfisher and The Monitor Lizard

Hello everyone

Nice and cool to be sitting here in the house typing as the outside weather is not that hot. I hope the weather will remain like this for the rest of the day as I plan to have a game of tennis in the evening. Nowadays the sun is still strong at 5 pm.

I must make a point to go early hoping I could also play for a second game so as not to leave the other three without a fourth person. (Sad . . . I can't stay back till very late a ha). Now we are getting less players on weekdays I wonder why since most of us are retirees we should be free on most days.

When we meet up we are not all the time talking about the game. Of course we talk and shout and sometimes scream and shriek during the game but outside the court we do have time to chit chat while we wait for a free court or waiting for a foursome.

Usually its all the ladies talk about life niceties but the other day a friend mentioned about iguana. She was late for the game because as she was about to leave her husband needed her to help him do away with the iguana. It has been a nuisance in their compound.

That big lizard?

If thats what she meant. It is nothing unusual in my area. One day I almost stepped on the creature. It was on a morning after the night rain. When the sun was out I went to the usual spot to see if I could take photos of birds of course because I feel birds were coming out to expose themselves to the sun after being wet.

Haa just right there ! I was startled. It was so near me. I could only manage to get this picture.


It was so close
What if it attacked me?

What if it was a snake? God forbid.

There was one day when I heard the shrill shriek of the kingfisher which broke the quietness of the afternoon. By the way now I can recognise their calls.  Went out to check I saw two birds flying here and there and hovering over the ground. Wondered what was the matter which alarmed them.

Ahh there . . . that big lizard again .

The bird made a swoop towards the monitor lizard. I was quite surprised to see that considering the size of the lizard was so many times larger than the bird. But then the bird has such a powerful looking beak.

If I were the kingfisher I would be disappointed . Couldn't even touch the lizard. It moved too fast and disappeared.



Can't get the bird in the photo properly at the moment of the swoop






Looks clumsy but can move very fast when threatened
Powerful beak and sharp eyes 

Well thats something to ponder the small wants to attack the big.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it.

Bye . . .



1 comment: