Tuesday 31 October 2017

Simple Baking Project


Hi friends

Another week has gone by. Time passes us so fast.

Infants have become toddler, the young has grown older but the old have yet to become wiser haha.

Life is a long and sometimes a tired journey. But no.

Still we are not tired of celebrating birthdays year after year because there is always the chocolate and cakes to sweeten, balloons  and ribbons to color and families and friends to cheer.

Life is not that dull at whatever age you are depending on how you color it and that you are not at all time chasing after the rainbows.

People say life is not only to be lived but also to be celebrated.

In the name of celebration aha, last weekend we held a small birthday get-together for our four October-born family members of three generations.

Home made, rugged  
Had an enjoyable family bonding with jokes and laughs and a lot of makan makan . . .

And one cake baked by me for the day was this . . .




Hah a burnt cake?

Hey no! I assure you it is nice.

I confess, that was my first trial.

Actually I have listed this cake recipe in my to do simple baking projects but never get to do it before this. And as usual the recipe is from the internet but I tweak it a little because I don't have some of the ingredients and equipment in my humble kitchen.

You can find this recipe on the internet easily just type Easy Lazy Daisy Cake in your browser and out will come the many recipes. Anyway I put the one from Taste.com down here for you.

Easy Lazy Daisy Cake.

4 eggs

2 cups sugar ( I used a bit less)

2 teaspoon vanilla ( I used pure vanilla powder)

2 cups AP flour ( I used 2 1/4 cups superfine flour)

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter

1 cup milk


Frosting

1- 1//2 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup butter

1/2 cup milk or cream (I used milk)

2 cups sweetened shredded coconut ( I used ordinary fresh  shredded coconut, only the white)


Method (the cake)

1. Melt butter in milk in a small pot over the stove. Put aside. Keep the mixture hot.

2. Beat egg, sugar and vanilla until thick and yellow.

3.Combine flour, baking powder and salt, add to egg mixture

4. Add the hot milk+butter . ( Batter a little fluid)

5. Bake in 13 x 9 inch, 30 - 35 minutes at 350 degrees C.

( I baked for a longer time in a round tin which is smaller in capacity resulting in thicker cake which I think is a mistake, later you will know why)


Frosting

Melt butter in milk in a pot on the stove. add brown sugar. Stir. Add coconut. Boil for three minutes.

( I put some lemon rind and juice as I thought it can cut off some of the sweetness. As it turned out it was just the right thing to do)

---------------------------------------

Spread the frosting evenly on hot cake.

If you have a kitchen torch used it to caramelize the frosting. I do not have one so I put the cake again in  the oven under the grill. Be very careful, keep watch. I nearly burn the whole cake in the process ha ha.

----------------------------------------

As mentioned earlier due to my using a smaller capacity baking tin my cake was thicker. I should have baked it in the bigger tin as stipulated in the recipe so that the cake is flatter.

This was pointed out to me that my cake was a little too thick. There was no more frosting after the first bite haha. Betul juga . . . if you bite from the top the bottom is left without the frosting. To attack from the side you have to open wide your mouth, not okey unless you are eating alone at home hehe. So a flatter cake is more dainty.

It was the coconut frosting that makes the cake taste different from other sponge cake. Every bite then would be heavenly.

I did not have a picture of the cut cake so that you can see the thickness. But you can more or less make out how thick it was as indicated in the last picture.


Egg. sugar ,vanilla 
Flour,baking powder,salt sift into egg mixture
mixture a little thick
Add hot butter milk mixture into flour mixture
The batter, a little fluid
Bake
Cook the coconut frosting


Put a little lemon rind and juice into frosting mixture

Spread frosting on hot cake

Set the grill
Put cake under the grill

Don't get it burnt!


The cake is supposed to be served in the baking container. Put the container in decorative perforated tray. If I have some edible flower like the bunga tongkeng , I would put in around in the tray to make it more presentable.

Well friends, I would make this cake again, nice soft and spongy and the caramelized coconut frosting makes it taste special.

I suggest you try it too.

As an after thought; we can also call this cake  kek kelapa hangus?


Happy baking .


Bye . . .


4 comments:

  1. Easy lazy ke? Siap berhasil cantiknya Tu mesti sedap kan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Errmmm... yummy Mrs. A pun suka apa-apa yang ada sejenis coconut di dalamnya.

    Happy belated birthday to those yang celebrate ya ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut frosting terbakar sikit tu sedap.

      Thanks.

      Delete