Tuesday 21 August 2018

One At A Time

Hi everybody

It comes one at a time
What comes one at a time.
Uh, that's my hibiscus . . . the flower blooms only one at a time . . .

Only this particular hibiscus plant of mine behaves like that. My neighbor's plant has multiple flowers in one go. Am jealous. But then, hers, the flowers are smaller compared to mine. Quietly I am proud.





This hibiscus is like a rose. It has more petals and definitely bigger than the ordinary hibiscus which usually has single layer whorl of five red or pink petals. 

The color is bold orange but sometimes from a different angle the flower appears pinkish to my imperfect eyesight. In fact, I love it when the hue is more pinkish just as I love the pinkish glow of the evening sky.

How unfortunate, this beauty does not last long, at its prime only for a day or two. Do not miss it, appreciate while it lasts.




My hibiscus plant is sharing the pot in which it grows with the turmeric plants which are thriving and competing against it. 

To make the hibiscus thrive better I need to pull out the turmeric to give more growth space for the hibiscus. To separate them may cause damage to the roots of both. I sayang both plants.

Why plant the turmeric in the same pot you may ask.

Well, in the beginning, the hibiscus grew so very slowly. The big pot looked empty, the reason why the fast-growing turmeric was planted there. 




Perhaps I should let the turmeric just be there. Now that the whole lot of plants are growing vibrantly why disturb it. Better to maintain it.

The solution is to grow another hibiscus plant in a different pot. That's it.

But then I need to take a cutting, uh which branch should I cut. If I have a choice I don't want to cut it at all.

Since I want another plant and that's the only way I know how to propagate it then cut it I must.

Just do it though precious as it may seem to me. Take a cutting stick it in the soil in another pot. That's it. And hope it would grow better than the original plant.

Even if later the flower comes only one at a time then with two plants I can hopefully have two flowers at a time . . . (chuckles)

That could be joy enough for a simple soul . . . 


Cheers.






9 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful orange! I have a hibiscus with orange flowers as well but single-petaled. Sometimes the blooms are bigger, sometimes smaller and I really like big ones as you do ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The size of first flower from this plant really was unexpectedly large. Subsequent flowers are a bit smaller.

      Delete
  2. Such an interesting story about your hibiscus. Nice flower though I prefer single-layered petal ones better cos feel more original. I know how difficult it is to make a choice between the two. Hope your new plant will grow strong and give you the bloom you want. Good luck! Watching our plants flowering, however little, is very satsfying. Simple happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed the single-layered ones are more original. Now we can find in many attractive colors instead of just red and pink.

      Delete
  3. Koleksi bunga raya saya bertambah sekarang sebab ada tukang bagi free. Best juga. Dah rasa jatuh hati pula...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mesti cantik bila mereka berkembang serentak dengan berbagai warna. Untung dapat free ;)

      Delete
  4. Dulu rumah lama zumal dikelilingi pokok bunga raya. Suka tengok yang bunga yang berlapis-lapis tu

    ReplyDelete